Coal allocation: BJP demands resignation of PM
New Delhi: Terming the apex court "rap" to the government in coal allocation controversy a vindication of its charge that the UPA government was engaged in a cover-up, the BJP Thursday demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh own up the responsibility for the allocations and resign.
The party also demanded that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) should seize computer data on allocations.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government was indulging in a massive cover-up of the probe and putting up all hurdles in the apex court-monitored probe.
Referring to the Supreme Court observations that the CBI was still not being giving a free hand for investigations, Javadekar said the probe agency has not been handed over "hundreds of files, thousands of documents".
"Some files are reported `missing`, crucial files are said to have been `lost`, other important files are `untraceable`, and files of the Maharashtra government have been `destroyed` in the infamous fire in the Mantralaya building," he said.
"The actual way forward for the CBI was to seize the related computers and dig out the data there from. The BJP expects that the Supreme Court will order such data mining," he said.
Javadekar said that requests by the CBI to share the probe status report with the executive and allowing transfer of some officers dealing with the coal scam probe was "a mischievous attempt" to disrupt the probe.
"All earlier and present attempts and interventions of the government are solely to save Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, as government fears that ultimately the probe will reach his door," Javadekar said, noting the prime minister held charge of coal from 2006 to 2009.
Javadekar alleged that the government had restricted the CBI from immediate interrogation of former minister of state for coal Dasari Narayan Rao and Congress MP Naveen Jindal, and added that the agency has not been allowed to establish money trail in a swift manner which would have exposed the bribe takers.
He said the inter-ministerial group has reviewed 56 coal block allocations so far, de-allocated 40 blocks and issued notices to others. "This itself speaks volumes about the massive corruption and irregularities involved in the coal allocation," he said.
Javadekar said there was no material available about the decision making process in coal allocation and minutes were not maintained.
"Every allocation was sanctioned personally by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as the then coal minister. In view of what has been exposed till today, he must own the responsibility and resign forthwith and the coal block allocations should be cancelled," he demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly