Coalgate protest to hit Metro services on Sunday
New Delhi: Six Metro stations in Central Delhi will be closed for most part of the day on Sunday, an apparent precautionary step following a call by erstwhile Team Anna to gherao residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and BJP chief Nitin Gadkari over the coal block allocation issue.
Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Patel Chowk, Race Course, Jor Bagh and Khan Market stations will remain close from 8 am to 6 pm on Sunday, a Delhi Metro spokesman said.
However, interchange of passengers from Line 2 to Line 6 will be allowed at Central Secretariat station.
The spokesman said the decision was taken as per directions received from the Delhi Police.
The stations fall near and close to the residences of Prime Minister and Gadkari.
Accusing Congress and BJP of having hand-in-glove on the coal block allocation issue, social activist Arvind Kejriwal had yesterday announced gherao of the residences of Singh and Gadkari.
"Congress and BJP have got together to loot Rs 1.86 lakh crore in coal scam. (There will be) gherao of Prime Minister`s and Nitin Gadkari`s residences. Let us assemble at Jantar Mantar on August 26 (at) 10 AM," activist Arvind Kejriwal had tweeted yesterday.
Reacting to the move, India Against Corruption said in a statement that government got "scared" and entrusted the Delhi Police with the crackdown on the protesters.
It said such moves will not deter them and the protest will get more strengthened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog