Colleges to have disabled-friendly DUSU poll booths
New Delhi: With the Delhi University Students` Union (DUSU) elections scheduled next month, authorities have directed colleges to ensure that polling booths are disabled-friendly, so that students with disability can vote.
"We have issued notices to the principals of the colleges to provide adequate facilities for students with disabilities so that they can participate freely in the democratic process of the varsity," said Bipin Tiwari, duty officer, DU Equal Opportunity Cell.
"The provisions that the colleges are asked to comply with are mandatory under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability, the 2007 order of the Supreme Court and the letter (in this regard) of the Election Commission of India," Tiwari said.
Among the facilities the colleges are expected to provide are: Free access to polling booth, location of booths on the ground floor, wheelchair facility, sign language interpreter for students with hearing impairment and adequate volunteers to assist disabled students.
The Delhi University Students` Union (DUSU) polls this year will be held Sep 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez