‘Complaint against Congress MLA being examined’
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has told a court here that the complaint filed by an RTI activist against a Congress MLA alleging land encroachment and tax evasion is being looked into.
The police told Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Devender Kumar Jangala that concerned departments have been requested to examine the allegations of the land encroachment and other illegalities against Kanwar Karan Singh, an MLA from the Model Town assembly segment.
It said DDA`s deputy directors of its Land Management and Commercial Land wings and Model Town sub-divisional magistrate have been requested to demarcate the land to ascertain if any encroachment has been made.
The police made these submissions in a status report filed on a complaint by RTI activist Vivek Garg, who had alleged that the MLA was running a petrol pump in North West Delhi on an encroached piece of government land worth Rs 50 crore and has evaded water and house taxes worth crores of rupees, due to the MCD and the DDA.
The police also sought more time from the court, assuring appropriate legal action once the report from the authorities concerned is received.
Meanwhile, the Economic Offences Wing of the Delhi Police too submitted that allegations levelled against the MLA have to be examined by the departments concerned and the complaint has been forwarded to the DCP (North West Delhi) and the Vigilance Director of Delhi government for taking appropriate legal actions.
The court has now called for an action-taken-report (ATR) from the DCP (North West Delhi).
Garg`s counsel Jairam had earlier alleged before the court that the massive land encroached by the MLA is being put to "illegal use as the same falls in green belt area and a petrol pump or a part of it cannot be operated in green belt."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre