Comply with Juvenile Board`s order to act against gangs: HC to police
New Delhi: The city police have been directed by the Delhi High Court to implement the Juvenile Justice Board`s (JJB) earlier order, asking it to probe and act against adult offenders for using children in offences like theft.
Disposing of a PIL, a division bench of Chief Justice NV Ramana and Justice Manmohan in an order said "the writ petition is disposed of with a direction to Delhi police to ensure that guidelines issued by the Juvenile Justice Board 1 on January 25, 2011 are adhered to."
The court`s order came on a PIL filed by advocate Anant Asthana alleging a large number of underprivileged juveniles were being forced to take up crime by organised gangs.
Taking note of a city based organised gang called "Thak-Thak" (knock-knock) gang, the JJB-1 had asked the Delhi Police to take action against adult criminals for using children for various offences including theft.
The PIL alleged organised gangs are using juveniles to commit crimes at the behest and command of adult perpetrators and "whenever minors are caught, they are dealt with under the provisions of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act but no action is taken against the main perpetrators who are influencing and directing them to commit crimes".
According to the plea, "the state and its instrumentalities should come forward with full might and determination to protect children who are being trapped into this circle of crime by adults due to their vulnerability, helplessness and tender age."
It was further said in the plea that "this situation has been prevailing in Delhi for quite a long time now while the respondent (Delhi police) have been dealing with this problem in a casual manner not realising the gravity involved and not realising the urgency with which duty-holders need to respond to this challenge."
The court disposed of the plea after accepting a status report filed by the Deputy Commissioner of Delhi Police saying the JJB order had been circulated to all police stations in February 2011 as well as in October last year for strict compliance.
"The guidelines/instructions issued by the JJB 1 are being followed by all Juvenile Welfare Officers/investigating officers," the police report said.
In its affidavit, the state government has also outlined the various steps it is taking as well as it proposed to take to strengthen the implementation of JJ Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi