Cong backs govt action against NGOs
New Delhi: Backing the government over action against the NGOs found to be prima facie involved in diversion of foreign funds, Congress on Thursday suggested that the ambit of investigations should be widened to cover all organizations which are trying to stop India`s growth trajectory.
"Whether it is India`s hydel energy programme in the 1980s, thermal energy programme in the 90s, or India`s nuclear programme now, there has been a systematic attempt to derail
the country`s quest for energy," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said here.
"Most of these agitations have very strong external linkages. Perhaps it would be appropriate for the government to see attempt to derail India`s quest for energy in a wider
perspective," he added.
Tewari was replying to questions on deportation of German national Sonnteg Reiner Hermann on Tuesday as well as cases filed against certain NGOs for alleged diversion of foreign funds to fuel anti-Kudankulam nuclear project protests.
Home Minister P Chidambaram said yesterday that there was enough evidence to show that Hermann was totally associatedwith the anti-Kudankulam protests which was not consistent
with his tourist visa.
The minister disclosed that cases have been filed against four NGOs after it was prima facie found that they were involved in diversion of foreign funds from the purpose for which they were received. The CBI has been asked to register cases against two, while other two have been left to Tamil Nadu police.
Tewari dismissed BJP`s criticism of the government over the issue saying the opposition party is in the habit of "shedding crocodile tears".
He said the BJP would be well-served to reflect what actions they took during NDA regime and stressed that it were UPA government`s efforts to tighten Foreign Contribution Regulation ACt (FCRA) regime that led to action against these NGOs and they were made accountable on their funding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video