Cong denies Khurshid sought exemption for businessmen
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday suggested that Law
Minister Salman Khurshid never sought any "blanket exemption"
for businessmen against arrest on the plea that it would
hamper investments in the country.
"This (remark of Khurshid) has been explained two days
back by another party spokesman. I do not think anybody holds
any brief for any blanket exemption (to businessmen)," AICC
spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi told reporters here.
His comment came close on the heels of Supreme Court
taking exception to Khurshid`s reported statement in this
regard, saying if true, it is "disturbing".
Another party spokesman Manish Tewari said two days
back that Khurshid`s statement should be seen in a
"I don`t think the Law Minister held a brief for any
aberrations which have been committed. He merely pointed
towards the fact that in a liberalised economy, dealing with
aberrations is the job of the judiciary, into which there
should be no interference," said Tewari.
Defending the Law Minister`s remarks about the need for
the judiciary to understand political economy, Tewari had
cautioned against painting the entire entrepreneurial class
"with a black brush" as it could "dis-incentivise" investment
and flow of capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Five indicators of India's looming demographic disaster
- 13 Indians died in Pakistan jails since 2013, India calls for thorough investigation
- 'Invisible hand' behind inaction of CBI, ED in AgustaWestland probe, says Manohar Parrikar in Rajya Sabha
- 'Will give up public life if found guilty in AgustaWestland scam'
- Date for estranged love-birds: Virat Kohli planning a dinner for Anushka Sharma?