Cong in no hurry to appoint Himachal Cong Working President
New Delhi: Despite the sulking Himachal Pradesh leader Virbhadra Singh`s staging show of strength, the Congress High Command appears to be in no hurry to decide on the appointment of his key loyalist as Working President of the party`s state unit ahead of assembly polls.
Party General Secretary Birender Singh said no order has been issued so far on the issue of Working President. He was asked whether Ganguram Mussafir has been made PCC Working President, a demand of Virbhadra Singh, to clip the wings of PCC Chief Kaul Singh Thakur, ahead of the polls.
Thakur, a known detractor of Virbhadra, had a meeting with Congress President Sonia Gandhi today. Gandhi, who is grappling with the party affairs in the state, also held consultations yesterday with Singh, a five-time Chief Minister of the state.
There was no official word on what transpired between the HPPCC Chief and Gandhi. Thakur also met Birender Singh, who is in-charge of party affairs in Himachal.
Birender Singh downplayed growing factionalism in the state unit contending that ahead of elections every leader tries to get maximum tickets for his supporters.
A large number of supporters of Virbhadra Singh, including over a dozen sitting MLAs, ex-MLAs, former MPs and members of state party different frontal organisations are camping in the national capital since yesterday.
Virbhadra Singh had resigned from Manmohan Singh cabinet recently after a Shimla court order against him in a CD case related to graft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy