Cong manifesto may include 9% sub-quota for minori
New Delhi: Congress is expected to promise a
nine per cent sub-quota for minorities in its manifesto for
the ensuing Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls, notwithstanding the
Election Commission notice to Law Minister Salman Khurshid for
his commitment to voters on the issue.
"The issue can find a mention in the Manifesto for U P",
a senior party leader said as Khurshid remained unfazed by the
notice sent by the Election Commission and maintained that he
had not violated the model code of conduct by talking of the
sub-quota within the OBC reservation.
Khurshid, who is also the Minorities Affairs Minister
heads the Manifesto Drafting Committee for U P which has Rita
Bahuguna Joshi, P L Punia, Sanjay Singh, Jairam Ramesh among
others the members.
In Bareilly, the Law Minister insisted that he has " not
violated the model code of conduct. I have a right to put
forth my view. It should reach the people," he told reporters
"It means that we should not bring out a manifesto, not
deliver a speech and sit back at home and elections should be
held without all these," he asked.
"The Sachar Committee and the Ranganath Misra Commission
have recommended 8.5 per cent quota for Muslims. What is wrong
if I talk about nine per cent reservation for them," he said.
The Law Minister said that among the total population of
the country, 17 per cent to 18 per cent were Muslims against
which reservation of only 9 per cent was being talked about.
He said that in every state reservation would be given
to minorities from the quota of other backward classes in
ratio with their population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi