Cong parries questions if Rahul could be working president
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday parried questions
on media reports that AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi
could become the party`s Working President and that an
announcement in this regard is likely on November 19, former
Prime Minister Indira Gandhi`s birthday.
"The internal matters of the party are not discussed with
media. If any decision is taken, you will come to know," party
spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters when asked about the
Top party leaders speaking on the condition of anonymity,
however, expressed ignorance about any such move.
The speculation about Rahul being appointed as Working
President of the party has been rife for the last few months,
every time a fresh controversy has hit the UPA government. The
speculation has only gained momentum after the surgery of
Congress President Sonia Gandhi in the US in August.
Rahul was also part of the four-member committee
appointed by Sonia to look after Congress affairs during her
treatment in the US.
To a separate question about the AICC general secretary
expressing his pain over the situation in Uttar Pradesh, Alvi
said people of the state are looking forward to Congress after
seeing the BJP-BSP and SP rule there for twenty years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra