Cong refrains from commenting on IAC charge against Khurshid
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday refrained from commenting on the allegation by India Against Corruption about financial irregularities in the functioning of Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust run by Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
Party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary merely said the minister`s wife Louise had issued a statement saying that she had herself requested Uttar Pradesh government last month to probe the matter so that the issue is categorically put to rest.
Louise, also the Trust`s Project Director, rejected the allegation that the NGO run by them indulged in financial irregularities in grants given by Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to the trust for the welfare of physically impaired people.
In a two-page press release, Louise termed the charges as "devoid of merit, false, malicious and baseless".
She said she had herself requested the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on September 17 to conduct an inquiry so that the truth is revealed and it is established that the trust has not forged signatures of any officer.
Activist Arvind Kejriwal said he along with disabled activists will gherao the residence of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Friday demanding resignation of the Law Minister.
A news channel yesterday alleged that the NGO had forged signatures of senior officials in several districts of Uttar Pradesh depriving disabled people of their money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed