Cong thrashes Gujarat govt stand on Sadbhavna fasts
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday trashed the Gujarat government`s claim that the chief minister had launched the Sadbhavna fasts on the directives of the Centre, saying “unless the BJP and Narendra Modi think that people of India eat grass, they would not have made such a laughable statement".
"If he (Modi) is so obedient of the Central directive, then why did he not follow his own party’s warning to observe Raj dharma..? Was it the Centre which told him to turn a Nelsonian blind eye when human carnage was going under his nose..?” party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said when asked about his reaction over the issue.
There were media reports which stated that the Gujarat Home department had written to Governor Kamla Beniwal earlier this month noting that the Sadbhavana fasts had been held in the state to increase communal harmony.
The letter was reported to have said that this (fasts) was as per directions given to the "states by various ministries of the central government to maintain and strengthen communal harmony in the states and with a vision to empower national unity."
Singhvi remarked "unless the BJP and Narendra Modi think that people of India eat grass, they would not have made such a laughable statement".
Modi had launched the Sadbhavna Mission with a three-day fast on his birthday on Sept 17 last year. The 33 fasts concluded on February 12.
Gordhan Zadaphia, who was the Minister of state for Home in Gujarat during Modi`s first stint as chief minister, has dismissed the state home department`s explanation.
Zadaphia, a friend-turned-foe of Modi, has also sought to know "which circular of the Centre had directed Modi to fast for sadbhavna".
He had written four letters to the Governor on Modi`s fasts seeking the expenses on it and the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?