‘Cong trying backdoor entry in S Delhi civic body’
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Wednesday alleged that the Congress was trying to "grab power" in South Delhi Municipal Corporation through backdoor and accused it of nursing "evil intentions".
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta lashed out at Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and DPCC chief J P Aggarwal for their "confusing and contradictory" stands.
"On the one hand, the Chief Minister and Delhi Congress President J P Aggarwal say that they had nothing to do with the election of the councillors, on the other (they are) conspiring to grab power through backdoor in South Delhi Municipal Corporation," he said.
The arithmetic in the South Delhi ward clearly shows that Congress is far from the majority. Out of 104 seats, Congress managed just 29 while the BJP got 44 seats, Gupta said.
NCP (6) and BSP (5) could help the party pose challenge to BJP.
"They do not have (the) support of Nationalist Congress Party nor the support of BSP. Even Independents are not supporting the Congress," he claimed.
BJP, which requires 8 more for the halfway mark, said it will prove the majority as many Independents have vouched their support for the party.
"BJP has support of members whose number is more than required majority. It will not face any difficulty in getting its Mayor elected," Gupta said.
The elections to the newly trifurcated MCD was recently held and barring South, where no single party got a clear cut majority, both East and North was comprehensively won by the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in