Cong unfazed over Anna`s proposed nation-wide tour
New Delhi: Congress on Friday appeared unfazed over Anna Hazare`s plans to undertake a nation-wide tour before the 2014 general elections to advocate the voters` `right to reject` unwanted candidates.
"India is a democratic country in which everyone is free to agitate on any issue, start a movement and revive it. The Constitution has given the right to every citizen," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
The Congress spokesman was responding to Hazare`s plans that after the Jan Lokpal Bill, he will undertake a nationwide tour prior to general elections to plead for the `right to reject` of voters.
Hazare had said the presence of "goondas" posed a threat to the democratic process in the country.
The anti-graft crusader and his team, in a meeting with the Election Commission yesterday, demanded that `right to reject` option be included in EVMs and that two Election Commissioners be given constitutional status like the Chief Election Commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth