Congress against, BJP for right to recall
New Delhi: Congress on Monday said the right
to recall elected representatives and reject candidates as
demanded by activist Anna Hazare is "not practical" as "50 per
cent of people do not vote" in the country while the BJP said
the issue should be given serious consideration.
"Right to recall is not practical in India. 50 per cent
people do not go for voting. Candidates win elections by
getting only three crore votes out of 13-14 crore voters.... so I
do not think it is possible in the country," Congress
spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters outside Parliament
On the demand for right to reject candidates, he said,
"Same way this will be applicable when maximum voters will
come forward for voting. First we should try to ensure that
80-90 per cent voters go for voting. Otherwise right to reject
is also not feasible."
Soon after he ended his 12-day fast on Lokpal issue,
Hazare yesterday said his fight would now be for Right to
Recall and Right to Reject as part of electoral reforms so
that corruption can be reduced.
"While Right to Recall would be for those elected, the
Right to Reject will be a column in the ballot paper which
would ensure the voter has a right to say that he does not
like the listed candidates.
"We have to reform electoral system. (we need) Right to
Reject. You should be able to reject your candidate in the
ballot paper. We have to do that."
Backing poll reforms, BJP leader Rajnath Singh said, "As
far as change in system is concerned, we are in favour of it.
There should be changes in electoral system, administrative
system and economic system."
Recalling the JP movement, Singh said, "When JP had given
the call for complete revolution in the country, the issue of
right to recall and right to reject was raised during that
time. The issue should be taken up seriously."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi