Congress, BJP have cut our power bill relief to Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party Saturday alleged the Congress and the BJP were hand in glove in denying Delhi residents the 50-percent subsidy in power tariff that was extended when the Arvind Kejriwal government was in office in the capital.
"AAP is shocked over the central government`s decision to ignore the proposal of the Kejriwal government to continue the relief for next six months till September," said a statement released by the top party leader himself at a press conference here.
The party said as per the interim budget passed by parliament Friday, the relief of 50 per cent in electricity bills for those consuming up to 400 units each month, provided by its AAP government from January, will be discontinued from April 1.
"When preparations for the interim budget had started, the AAP government had clearly made a provision for this relief to continue and the power department was ready with a proposal," the party said.
"The Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government`s decision to reverse this pro-people`s measure is a betrayal of the people of Delhi," it said, adding: "The BJP is an equal partner in this anti-people decision."
The party said despite the BJP promising a 30-percent cut in electricity bills in its manifesto for Delhi assembly elections, it did not protest the Central government`s decision when the interim budget was placed in both houses of parliament.
According to AAP, more than 90 percent of the legislators in the Delhi assembly, except for the eight from Congress party had agreed that electricity bills should be reduced by at least 30 percent.
"Then how could the central government ignore such an overwhelming majority," it asked.
"The people of Delhi are watching this match-fixing between the Congress party and BJP to increase the woes of the common man. The BJP`s mysterious silence on president`s rule is a clear signal it wants to deny the people their right of having a democratically elected government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo