Congress` Delhi legislator confuses Rahul, Rajiv Gandhi
New Delhi: A Congress legislator in Delhi committed a gaffe at Rahul Gandhi`s rally here as he confused the party vice president with his late father and former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
To keep up the enthusiasm of crowds - waiting since 9 am to listen to Rahul Gandhi who arrived at 1 pm, several local leaders delivered speeches that were less than enthralling.
Legislator Jai Kishan unwittingly mixed up Rahul and Rajiv Gandhi.
"For this country, Rahul Gandhi has sacrificed his life," he said.
Another Congress leader Kuldip Nagra ended up calling Arvinder Singh Lovely as a central minister. Lovely is Delhi`s urban development minister.
The gathering did not only comprise ardent supporters of Congress, but those who were complaining against soaring onion prices and electricity bills and sought relief no matter who wins the electoral battle in Delhi.
"I only want that onions become cheaper. And also my electricity bills, which has run into thousands of rupees," said Sheela Devi, whose husband works in Delhi Development Authority.
Thousands of people, who were brought in buses from various parts of the capital, waited for a long time at the sprawling Kala Mandir Ground for the rally. Many of them - both men and women - were sporting red turbans.
As Gandhi arrived to address the rally, people climbed on their chairs to see him and the sloganeering reached its crescendo.
The Mangolpuri area in west Delhi was agog with activity. Though many shops were shut due to security reasons, the scene was akin to that of a `mela`.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report