Congress leader confuses Rahul with Rajiv Gandhi
New Delhi: A Congress legislator in Delhi committed a gaffe at Rahul Gandhi`s rally here as he confused the party vice president with his late father and former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
To keep up the enthusiasm of crowds - waiting since 9 a.m. to listen to Rahul Gandhi who arrived at 1 p.m., several local leaders delivered speeches that were less than enthralling.
Legislator Jai Kishan unwittingly mixed up Rahul and Rajiv Gandhi. "For this country, Rahul Gandhi has sacrificed his life," he said.
Another Congress leader Kuldip Nagra ended up calling Arvinder Singh Lovely as a central minister. Lovely is Delhi`s urban development minister.
The gathering did not only comprise ardent supporters of Congress, but those who were complaining against soaring onion prices and electricity bills and sought relief no matter who wins the electoral battle in Delhi.
"I only want that onions become cheaper. And also my electricity bills, which has run into thousands of rupees," said Sheela Devi, whose husband works in Delhi Development Authority.
Thousands of people, who were brought in buses from various parts of the capital, waited for a long time at the sprawling Kala Mandir Ground for the rally. Many of them - both men and women - were sporting red turbans.
As Gandhi arrived to address the rally, people climbed on their chairs to see him and the sloganeering reached its crescendo.
The Mangolpuri area in west Delhi was agog with activity. Though many shops were shut due to security reasons, the scene was akin to that of a `mela`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31