Congress leader confuses Rahul with Rajiv Gandhi
New Delhi: A Congress legislator in Delhi committed a gaffe at Rahul Gandhi`s rally here as he confused the party vice president with his late father and former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
To keep up the enthusiasm of crowds - waiting since 9 a.m. to listen to Rahul Gandhi who arrived at 1 p.m., several local leaders delivered speeches that were less than enthralling.
Legislator Jai Kishan unwittingly mixed up Rahul and Rajiv Gandhi. "For this country, Rahul Gandhi has sacrificed his life," he said.
Another Congress leader Kuldip Nagra ended up calling Arvinder Singh Lovely as a central minister. Lovely is Delhi`s urban development minister.
The gathering did not only comprise ardent supporters of Congress, but those who were complaining against soaring onion prices and electricity bills and sought relief no matter who wins the electoral battle in Delhi.
"I only want that onions become cheaper. And also my electricity bills, which has run into thousands of rupees," said Sheela Devi, whose husband works in Delhi Development Authority.
Thousands of people, who were brought in buses from various parts of the capital, waited for a long time at the sprawling Kala Mandir Ground for the rally. Many of them - both men and women - were sporting red turbans.
As Gandhi arrived to address the rally, people climbed on their chairs to see him and the sloganeering reached its crescendo.
The Mangolpuri area in west Delhi was agog with activity. Though many shops were shut due to security reasons, the scene was akin to that of a `mela`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city