Congress MP files defamation plea against Arvind Kejriwal in HC
New Delhi: A Congress MP has filed a defamation case in Delhi High Court accusing Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of tarnishing his reputation by branding him as corrupt and sought Rs one crore in damages.
Avtar Singh Bhadana, a sitting Congress MP from Haryana, has contended in his petition that Kejriwal on January 31 this year in a public statement termed him as one of the "most corrupt persons of India".
"The defendant (Kejriwal) who himself is an elected representative of Delhi has chosen to name him (Bhadana) on January 31, 2014 as one of most corrupt persons of India in his public statement causing serious damage to plaintiff`s (Bhadana) reputation among his electorates, peers and supporters throughout India with a view to take electoral advantage in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections in 2014," the petition, filed through advocate Surat Singh, said.
The petition also states "this is sad and unfortunate that, instead of giving constructive criticism, defendant is making false and baseless allegations against respected leaders of various political parties and business houses and business institutions."
Bhadana has also contended in his plea that despite sending a legal notice to Kejriwal, the CM has not withdrawn his comments nor apologised for the same.
The petition also seeks a permanent injunction against Kejriwal restraining him from making any allegations against the Congress MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS