Congress rejects claims of Modi effect on DUSU poll outcome
New Delhi: Rejecting the claim of Narendra Modi impact on DUSU elections that saw BJP`s student wing ABVP romping home, Congress on Saturday pointed to its frontal outfit NSUI`s victory in student bodies` elections in Gujarat and Punjab.
"If they are saying that ABVP`s victory in DUSU this year is a sign of Modi impact and this in indicates that BJP will also win assembly and Lok Sabha elections in Delhi, then BJP should be ready to pack up from Gujarat and Punjab where Congress` student wing NSUI won University and College elections recently," party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed told reporters.
Ahmed, who is AICC in-charge for Delhi, said NSUI recently won in students` union elections at Maharaja Sayajirao University in Vadodara after a gap of 10 years despite Modi`s posters used in the election campaign there.
"We had also won in Gujarat University and Punjab University elections. While Modi is Chief Minister in Gujarat, it`s a Akali-Dal BJP government in Punjab. If losing Delhi University Students Union means Congress will lose elections in Delhi, then BJP must be on losing trend in Gujarat and Punjab," he argued.
Ahmed said that as far DUSU is concerned, Congress had won three posts and BJP one, which has reversed this year and may reverse again next year in favour of Congress.
Aman Awana of ABVP, who was elected DUSU President, attributed the victory primarily due to Modi`s popularity among students and their anger against NSUI.
Karishma Thakur of National Students Union of India (NSUI), who was elected as Secretary, the lone winner from Congress student wing, said there was "no impact of Modi" on DUSU elections and that Congress will win Delhi assembly elections impressively as there is "no such thing as Modi factor".
She was talking to reporters at the AICC after meeting Ahmed and other senior leaders.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under migrant deal
- Ravi Rampaul reveals shocking reason for not being picked in West Indian team
- IPL 2016, Match 31: GL vs DD - As it happened...
- Jacqueline Fernandez keeps mystery alive on her relationship status
- Mamata Banerjee trying to influence polls with police help: CPI-M