Congress rejects claims of Modi effect on DUSU poll outcome
New Delhi: Rejecting the claim of Narendra Modi impact on DUSU elections that saw BJP`s student wing ABVP romping home, Congress on Saturday pointed to its frontal outfit NSUI`s victory in student bodies` elections in Gujarat and Punjab.
"If they are saying that ABVP`s victory in DUSU this year is a sign of Modi impact and this in indicates that BJP will also win assembly and Lok Sabha elections in Delhi, then BJP should be ready to pack up from Gujarat and Punjab where Congress` student wing NSUI won University and College elections recently," party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed told reporters.
Ahmed, who is AICC in-charge for Delhi, said NSUI recently won in students` union elections at Maharaja Sayajirao University in Vadodara after a gap of 10 years despite Modi`s posters used in the election campaign there.
"We had also won in Gujarat University and Punjab University elections. While Modi is Chief Minister in Gujarat, it`s a Akali-Dal BJP government in Punjab. If losing Delhi University Students Union means Congress will lose elections in Delhi, then BJP must be on losing trend in Gujarat and Punjab," he argued.
Ahmed said that as far DUSU is concerned, Congress had won three posts and BJP one, which has reversed this year and may reverse again next year in favour of Congress.
Aman Awana of ABVP, who was elected DUSU President, attributed the victory primarily due to Modi`s popularity among students and their anger against NSUI.
Karishma Thakur of National Students Union of India (NSUI), who was elected as Secretary, the lone winner from Congress student wing, said there was "no impact of Modi" on DUSU elections and that Congress will win Delhi assembly elections impressively as there is "no such thing as Modi factor".
She was talking to reporters at the AICC after meeting Ahmed and other senior leaders.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know