Congress slams Ramdev over remarks against Nehru
New Delhi: Congress on Monday launched a scathing attack on yoga guru Ramdev over his alleged remarks against Jawaharlal Nehru and asked the BJP whether it endorses them.
"Congress party strongly condemns the extremely, regrettable, reprehensible and deplorable statement of Baba Ramadev on India`s first Prime Minister," Congress spokesperson Sanjay Jha told reporters in his maiden press briefing from the AICC podium.
Jha, who is one of the 36 media panelists from the party, faced a barrage of questions from the media today.
On Sunday, the yoga guru had hit out at the Congress for targeting BJP prime ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and calling him `maut ka saudagar`.
Ramdev, reportedly said if Modi is branded `maut ka saudagar` (merchant of death), then Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was a bigger mass murderer.
Attacking Ramdev for making "very insulting remarks to Nehru", Jha said that the leader was a statesman recognised worldwide and hence the yoga guru using such words against him is "extremely pathetic".
"I want to ask the BJP whether they endorse the brazen and blatant comment of Baba Ramdev," he asked.
Jha also mocked the Yoga Guru for giving suggestions on economy to BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi saying his talk of economic freedom is some sort of "freedom from economics".
Ramdev had earlier demanded abolition of all kinds of taxes and pitched for a single tax in the form of `Banking Transaction Tax` if Modi became Prime Minister.
Modi, BJP President Rajnath Singh and Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley had attended an event organised by Ramdev here yesterday, where they expressed agreement with his economic proposals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference