Congress threatens to snap power to Manish Sisodia`s house
New Delhi: The Congress party Sunday continued its power protest here, threatening to cut supply to the houses of former Delhi minister Manish Sisodia and BJP leaders if the crisis is not resolved soon.
A day after Congress leaders were detained when they tried to obstruct the movement of trains at Nangloi railway station in west Delhi, the party`s senior leaders Ajay Maken, Shakeel Ahmed and Arvinder Singh Lovely protested in central Delhi`s Karol Bagh area.
Lovely, who is the party`s Delhi unit chief, burnt effigies of former chief minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief Arvind Kejriwal and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Scores of party workers, joined by locals, shouted anti-BJP and anti-AAP slogans.
"If the crisis is not resolved soon, we will cut the electricity supply to the houses of Manish Sisodia (AAP leader) and BJP leaders," Delhi Congress chief spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said here.
The national capital has been reeling under long hours of power cuts, following a May 30 storm, which damaged transmission lines.
The Congress - out of power both at the centre and in Delhi - has held a string of protests over the outages. President Pranab Mukherjee`s daughter Sharmistha joined one such protest Saturday.
Congress general secretary Ajay Maken blamed Delhi`s former chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the power crisis in the capital.
"Arvind Kejriwal and Narendra Modi are responsible for this condition of Delhi. Arvind Kejriwal wanted to be seen on television, so he protested at Rajghat," Maken said.
"I want to ask Piyush Goyal (union power minister) that last year approximately 5,800 MW electricity was supplied in Delhi, then why you are not able to fulfil the requirement of just 5,600 MW," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves