Congress women workers stage protest against Minister Nihalchand
New Delhi: Congress women workers today staged a protest outside BJP headquarters here demanding immediate resignation of Union Minister Nihalchand Meghwal whose name has cropped up in a rape case.
The protesters led by Shobha Oza, President of All India Congress Mahila Morcha, reached BJP Headquarters at 11, Ashoka Road around noon and raised anti-BJP slogans. They were also carrying placards demanding Meghwal`s resignation.
The demonstrators tried to breach the police barricade and burnt Meghwal`s effigy.
Meghwal, 42, is the only representative from Rajasthan in Modi`s council of ministers. He is the Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers.
He was named in an FIR filed in 2011 by a woman who alleged that her husband repeatedly drugged her and then allowed his friends, among them Meghwal, to rape her.
Rajasthan Police had, in 2012, closed the case saying the charges were false and fabricated.
The woman had then approached a district court which, too, dismissed the charges. She filed a review petition, following which additional district judge issued notices to Meghwal and 17 others in this case last week, asking them to respond by August 20.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'