Congress women workers stage protest against Minister Nihalchand
New Delhi: Congress women workers today staged a protest outside BJP headquarters here demanding immediate resignation of Union Minister Nihalchand Meghwal whose name has cropped up in a rape case.
The protesters led by Shobha Oza, President of All India Congress Mahila Morcha, reached BJP Headquarters at 11, Ashoka Road around noon and raised anti-BJP slogans. They were also carrying placards demanding Meghwal`s resignation.
The demonstrators tried to breach the police barricade and burnt Meghwal`s effigy.
Meghwal, 42, is the only representative from Rajasthan in Modi`s council of ministers. He is the Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers.
He was named in an FIR filed in 2011 by a woman who alleged that her husband repeatedly drugged her and then allowed his friends, among them Meghwal, to rape her.
Rajasthan Police had, in 2012, closed the case saying the charges were false and fabricated.
The woman had then approached a district court which, too, dismissed the charges. She filed a review petition, following which additional district judge issued notices to Meghwal and 17 others in this case last week, asking them to respond by August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Ephedrine haul case: Accused gets threat not to turn approver
- Yo Yo Honey Singh battled bipolar disease, thanks doctor for treatment!
- Shocking! Jharkhand BJP chief's daughter-in-law is just 11 years old!
- Zareen Khan, Ali Fazal to feature in T-Series music video
- Will not accept UN tribunal verdict on South China Sea: China