Consider parole pleas in a month: Delhi HC to govt
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today
directed the city government to consider the applications for
parole filed by the convicts within a month.
The Court also asked the police and the home
department to complete the verification in 10 days in cases of
convicts from the city and the exercise for outstation
convicts should not take more than 20 days when any
application for parole comes up for consideration.
Justice Kailash Gambhir disposed of a petition after
the city government informed that out of 98 parole pleas, the
Lt Governor has decided 89 applications and nine are yet to be
The Court directed for quick disposal of the nine
The Court had taken strong exception to the alacrity
shown by Delhi government in granting parole to Manu Sharma,
sentenced for life imprisonment for killing model Jessica
Lall, last month and not following its directions with regard
to parole matters.
"Already, this court has given direction that the
parole applications moved by the convicts be given due
priority....It appears that the directions given by this court
are being implemented more in violation than in compliance,"
the court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- When Sushma Swaraj responded to a plea for help in chaste Haryanvi
- Karnataka bandh: KSRTC bus strike called off as state government announces 12.5% pay hike
- 7th Pay Commission: NPS funds earned more than PF in last six months
- Amitabh Bachchan celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'
- Dibrugarh University MEE Result (www.dibru.ac.in) declared. Check ceemedu.org for Assam MEE 2016 result