Constable accused of killing wife denied bail
New Delhi: The bail plea of a police constable, facing trial for the alleged murder of his wife in 2011, has been rejected by the Delhi High Court which said the accused may flee if he is granted bail.
Dismissing the bail plea of Delhi Police constable Virendra Singh recently, Justice R V Easwar said, "Taking all the circumstances, the rival arguments and the material on record into account, I do not think that this is a fit case for grant of bail."
"I do share the apprehension expressed by the Additional Public Prosecutor that granting bail at this stage, when the trial is about to close, involves the risk of the accused fleeing from justice."
The court also took note of the accused constable`s post- incident conduct and said "(just because) the evidence is purely circumstantial, does not automatically entitle the accused to bail."
The court had rejected Singh`s argument that other accused in the case, including his mother, have been granted bail and he was also entitled to it.
According to the prosecution, before the incident on September 26, 2011, the victim had called up a PCR van early in the morning and told the police that she was calling from Quarter No 112, Police Colony, Shakarpur to inform that her in-laws along with her husband had threatened to kill her.
When policemen reached there, they were informed by a lady member of the accused`s family that no such call was made from the house. Later, the police had found the house locked.
Following a complaint from the victim`s family, the police had initiated an inquiry and found that soon after the incident, the family had taken the woman`s body to their native village and cremated her there.
The High Court also took note of the fact that the accused constable had called up his superior on September 27, 2011, and requested for 10 days leave on the ground that his wife was seriously ill but had not disclosed that she was no longer alive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now