Constable battling for life after India Gate violence
New Delhi: A Delhi Police Constable was on Sunday night battling for life after he was severely beaten up near India Gate by protesters who had gathered to demand security for women in the capital in the wake of last week`s gang-rape incident.
On a day hooligans took over and violence erupted in India Gate in which 78 policemen and 65 protesters were injured, police fired 250 teargas shells, repeatedly used water jets and resorted to baton charge.
Among the 78 policemen injured were Joint Commissioner (Central) Taj Hasan, Additional Commissioner (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) B S Jaiswal and Additional Deputy Commissioner (New Delhi) Sanjay Tyagi.
"Constable Subhash Tomar is fighting for his life at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital," Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told PTI. Tomar is posted at Karawal Nagar police station.
Tomar was beaten up at Tilak Marg near India Gate in the evening by "hooligans among protesters", Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), said. "He is critical. He sank thrice but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," the Special Commissioner said.
He said at least 25 vehicles -- 12 DTC buses, 12 PCR vans and a Doordarshan vehicle -- were damaged.
"We cleared India Gate completely by 5:30 pm," he said, adding the barricades erected by PWD for Republic Day celebrations next month were damaged by protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29