Constable battling for life after India Gate violence
New Delhi: A Delhi Police Constable was on Sunday night battling for life after he was severely beaten up near India Gate by protesters who had gathered to demand security for women in the capital in the wake of last week`s gang-rape incident.
On a day hooligans took over and violence erupted in India Gate in which 78 policemen and 65 protesters were injured, police fired 250 teargas shells, repeatedly used water jets and resorted to baton charge.
Among the 78 policemen injured were Joint Commissioner (Central) Taj Hasan, Additional Commissioner (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) B S Jaiswal and Additional Deputy Commissioner (New Delhi) Sanjay Tyagi.
"Constable Subhash Tomar is fighting for his life at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital," Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told PTI. Tomar is posted at Karawal Nagar police station.
Tomar was beaten up at Tilak Marg near India Gate in the evening by "hooligans among protesters", Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), said. "He is critical. He sank thrice but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," the Special Commissioner said.
He said at least 25 vehicles -- 12 DTC buses, 12 PCR vans and a Doordarshan vehicle -- were damaged.
"We cleared India Gate completely by 5:30 pm," he said, adding the barricades erected by PWD for Republic Day celebrations next month were damaged by protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH