Constable beaten to death: 3 more held for attack
New Delhi: A day after a Delhi Police constable was allegedly beaten to death by alleged liquor mafia members, police on Sunday detained three more persons in connection with the case.
"Joginder, Sunil and Neetu, associates of Pawan, who was held yesterday, have been arrested from different areas of South Delhi. We are questioning them," police said.
Vinod, 48, who was on deputation with the Excise Department of Delhi government, was beaten to death and another constable badly injured when the duo were attacked by the assailants during a raid in a forest area near Ghitorni village of south Delhi.
A senior police official said that on the intervening night of December 27 and 28, excise officials received a tip-off that a few people were selling illegal liquor in the city.
An excise team reached the area where they soon spotted the accused moving in a car.
The officials then gave chase to the alleged offenders and arrived at an isolated spot in Ghitorni village where some associates of the accused were already present.
"When the excise team tried to nab the accused, their associates attacked them with hockey sticks and sharp weapons. The constable duo received critical injuries in the attack. They were taken to AIIMS where Vinod succumbed to his injuries during the course of treatment," police said.
Meanwhile, family members of the deceased constable today alleged that he was killed due to the negligence of his colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened