Constitution does not stop CM from protesting: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who faced flak for his protest in the heart of the capital, Saturday said the Constitution does not prevent the Chief Minister from holding a dharna.
"I read the Constitution, couldn`t find anywhere that a Chief Minister cannot hold `dharna`," he said on criticism to his two-day dharna outside Rail Bhavan.
He also charged that "the media is getting paid to do negative stories on AAP."
Kejriwal`s role in leading a protest while holding constitutional office has came under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court which yesterday slammed law enforcing agencies for allowing unlawful assembly of supporters of the Chief Minister in the heart of national capital.
In his Republic Day address at Chhatrasal Stadium here, the Delhi Chief Minister said the Jan Lokpal Bill is almost ready and will be passed at a special session in Ramlila Maidan in February.
Holding that security of women in the national capital is "highly compromised", he said the government has formed a committee under the Chief Secretary for the formation of `Mahila Suraksha Dal` in the city.
"Women security in the national capital is highly compromised. It is our utmost duty and priority to provide security to women. We have formed a committee under the Chief Secretary for formation of Mahila Suraksha Dal," he said.
He said that it may not have powers like the police but the force will work like security guards stationed outside buildings and housing societies.
"They will provide security to women. We will have retired army personnel, police and home guards as members of suraksha dal," he said.
Kejriwal also said the committee under the chief secretary will make provisions to ensure that rapists are sent to jail within 3 to 6 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug