Constitution does not stop CM from protesting: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who faced flak for his protest in the heart of the capital, Saturday said the Constitution does not prevent the Chief Minister from holding a dharna.
"I read the Constitution, couldn`t find anywhere that a Chief Minister cannot hold `dharna`," he said on criticism to his two-day dharna outside Rail Bhavan.
He also charged that "the media is getting paid to do negative stories on AAP."
Kejriwal`s role in leading a protest while holding constitutional office has came under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court which yesterday slammed law enforcing agencies for allowing unlawful assembly of supporters of the Chief Minister in the heart of national capital.
In his Republic Day address at Chhatrasal Stadium here, the Delhi Chief Minister said the Jan Lokpal Bill is almost ready and will be passed at a special session in Ramlila Maidan in February.
Holding that security of women in the national capital is "highly compromised", he said the government has formed a committee under the Chief Secretary for the formation of `Mahila Suraksha Dal` in the city.
"Women security in the national capital is highly compromised. It is our utmost duty and priority to provide security to women. We have formed a committee under the Chief Secretary for formation of Mahila Suraksha Dal," he said.
He said that it may not have powers like the police but the force will work like security guards stationed outside buildings and housing societies.
"They will provide security to women. We will have retired army personnel, police and home guards as members of suraksha dal," he said.
Kejriwal also said the committee under the chief secretary will make provisions to ensure that rapists are sent to jail within 3 to 6 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'