Construction near Jama Masjid: HC allows Shahi Imam to respond
New Delhi: The Shahi Imam of 16th century historic Jama Masjid was allowed today by the Delhi High Court to respond to a report of the court-appointed commission on alleged illegal constructions inside the mosque.
Justice Rajiv Shakdher, who started dictating the order asking the MCD to demolish the alleged illegal construction inside the mosque in pursuance of the report, however, later allowed the plea of a lawyer, representing Shahi Imam, that he be given an opportunity to file his reply.
"This a factual finding and the report also says the construction is without any valid permission," Justice Shakdher said in response to the lawyer`s plea that "some renovations have been carried out and no illegal structures have come up."
"Let a reply be filed," said the court, while posting the matter for hearing on April 9, It made clear to the MCD and the Shahi Imam that no further construction be carried out at the site.
The bench had appointed earlier a lawyer as the court commissioner to ascertain the allegations of Suhail Ahmed Khan, an Old Delhi resident, that illegal constructions have come up inside the historic mosque.
Khan, in his plea, had alleged that Shahi Imam of the 16th century historic mosque, Maulana Syed Ahmed Bhukhari, and his three brothers, Syed Hasan Bhukhari, Syed Yahia Bhukhari and Syed Tarikh Bhukhari have been raising illegal structures adjacent to it.
The court had earlier asked the authorities including the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to stop dis-figuration of the site near the monument.
The petition, filed through lawyers C Prakash and Rajesh Kumar Yadav, alleged Bhukhari brothers were illegally encroaching sites inside the mosque premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow