Construction worker paid dues by 5-star hotel on court order
New Delhi: A self-employed contractual worker engaged in a legal battle with a firm owning five-star hotel, The Grand here to get his dues for the construction he carried out in 2009, has finally been paid his wages after he secured a decree from a Delhi court for it.
The Grand owner Unison Hotels Ltd paid a sum of Rs 43,936 after a civil court issued a decree, ordering the firm to pay the worker his dues.
Shrikant Choudhary, engaged in construction work on contractual basis, had filed a civil suit through advocate Sudhir Sampath against the Unison Hotels Ltd and its managing director for for recovery of Rs 40,908.
"In the aforesaid facts and circumstances, the suit is decreed in favour of plaintiff (worker) and against defendant number one (Unison Hotels Ltd) in the sum of Rs 40,908 with pendente lite (since litigation is pending) interest at the rate of nine percent per annum from the date of institution of the suit till the date of decree and future interest at the rate of six percent per annum from the date of decree till realisation," Civil Judge Ashish Aggarwal said.
Choudhary had pleaded that he was awarded contractual work by the firm on two occasions on January 10, 2009 and August 25, 2009 on an agreements that he would be paid Rs 45,750 and Rs 5,373 respectively for the two contracts.
After completion of work, the hotel "failed to pay him for the said services" and on his insistence for the same, the company reduced his bill amount for first contract from Rs 45,750 to Rs 35,535.
"Yet, the defendants failed to make payment of the sum due to the plaintiff," Chaudhary said stating reasons to file the suit.
The court had issued summons to the defendants but they "failed to appear before the court" and they were proceeded ex parte.
Chaudhary produced the contract deeds, and bills of the said work before the court to prove his case.
The court allowing his plea issued a decree against Unison Hotels and said `The Grand` hotel and Unison`s MD was not liable for the contract.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!