Consumer court asks manufacturer to pay Rs 1L for dead flies
New Delhi: Two dead flies in a soft drink
bottle proved costly for a beverage company with the Delhi
State Consumer Commission directing it to deposit Rs one lakh
with the State Consumer Welfare Fund on account of negligence.
"In a case of this nature when the facts speak for
themselves which gain support from the bottle and the
documents, no further evidence is required," the Commission
headed by President Justice Barkat Ali Zaidi said.
The Commission passed the order on a plea of company Moon
Beverages Ltd, challenging the District Forum`s direction to
deposit Rs one lakh with the State Consumer Welfare Fund after
a consumer found two dead flies in a bottle of soft drink.
"Who else will be responsible if the manufacturer is not
responsible? The contention is without merit," the Commission
said while holding the company responsible for negligence.
On being contended that the dispute was not covered by
the Act, the Commission said,” This is an argument of despair
because if such cases are not covered then no case will be
covered under Consumer Protection Act."
Vinod Gupta, the complainant, approached the District
Consumer Forum after finding two flies in the bottle, seeking
Rs one lakh compensation from the company.
The Forum had directed the retailer to pay Rs 5,000 as
damages to Gupta and directed the company to deposit Rs one
lakh with State Consumer Welfare Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what