Convert unused building into night shelter: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked
MCD to convert a portion of a building lying unused for
several years into a night shelter to accommodate the homeless
people during this winter.
In an interim direction, the Division Bench headed by
Chief Justice A P Shah asked MCD to convert a portion of its
four-storeyed commercial building at Motia Khan to covert into
a temporary night shelter at the earliest for the homeless
people including those from Pusa Road roundabout.
Appearing for Delhi government, counsel Najmi Waziri said
the Chief Secretary has convened a meeting tomorrow with
senior officers of MCD, DDA, NDMC, Department of Education and
also the officers from Union Urban Development Ministry to
discuss about the short-term action plan for rehabilitation of
the destitute here.
The Bench also directed Asha Menon, Member-Secretary,
Delhi Legal Services Authority(DLSA), to participate and
present her suggestions in the meeting in order to explore
possibility for construct a permanent shelter to meet the
requirement of Master Plan 2021 for the homeless peole who
spend their nights on pavement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?