Convert unused building into night shelter: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked
MCD to convert a portion of a building lying unused for
several years into a night shelter to accommodate the homeless
people during this winter.
In an interim direction, the Division Bench headed by
Chief Justice A P Shah asked MCD to convert a portion of its
four-storeyed commercial building at Motia Khan to covert into
a temporary night shelter at the earliest for the homeless
people including those from Pusa Road roundabout.
Appearing for Delhi government, counsel Najmi Waziri said
the Chief Secretary has convened a meeting tomorrow with
senior officers of MCD, DDA, NDMC, Department of Education and
also the officers from Union Urban Development Ministry to
discuss about the short-term action plan for rehabilitation of
the destitute here.
The Bench also directed Asha Menon, Member-Secretary,
Delhi Legal Services Authority(DLSA), to participate and
present her suggestions in the meeting in order to explore
possibility for construct a permanent shelter to meet the
requirement of Master Plan 2021 for the homeless peole who
spend their nights on pavement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love