Conviction of Romesh Sharma upheld in tax evasion case
New Delhi: A Delhi Court has upheld the
conviction and two year imprisonment of Romesh Sharma, an
alleged henchman of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, in an
income tax evasion case which was to the tune of Rs 8.5
"Keeping in view that Sharma had wilfully evaded to
pay the tax and he has committed the offence under income tax
Act, I am not inclined to take lenient view against him by
imposing fine or releasing him on probation," Additional
Sessions Judge Nivedita Anil Sharma said.
The court also refused to substitute the sentence with
fine or grant probation to Sharma, saying, "a substantive
sentence is required to be imposed upon the accused so as to
set an example for the others who might also venture on the
same forbidden path."
Sharma had filed an appeal against the March 31, 2008
judgement of the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate
(ACMM) who had held him guilty for the offence under Income
He was sentenced to two years of rigorous imprisonment
and Rs one lakh fine by the ACMM.
The court noted that Sharma had moved an application
before the income tax authorities for compounding of offence
but subsequently failed to make any payment, which shows that
he had no intention to pay tax.
He was arrested in 1998 from New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read