Cop who bribed Delhi rape victim’s father identified
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The policeman, who had offered Rs 2,000 to the father of the five-year-old girl who was held captive and raped by her neighbour in Delhi, has been identified.
A relative of the victim told a news agency that the girl`s father identified the culprit from 13 photographs of policemen shown to him. The photos were of policemen from constable to inspector rank.
Earlier, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said that the police official who allegedly offered the bribe could not be identified because the victim`s father was not available for the identification process.
"We went to the police to register an FIR (First Information Report) but they refused. They never tried to find her, and instead drove us away," the father of the victim had told reporters here outside the Swami Dayananda Hospital in east Delhi`s Shahdara, where the girl was battling for life. She was later shifted to the AIIMS for further treatment.
The father said that when the family finally found the girl on Wednesday, the police told the family to not highlight the issue, and offered them Rs 2,000 to keep mum.
"The police told us that we should not highlight the issue in the media and gave us Rs 2,000 as kharcha-pani (for expenses and refreshment)," said the father, adding that the police further told them to "thank god that his daughter was alive".
"The police told us to take our daughter home and pray for her recovery," said one of the girl`s relatives.
The girl was abducted on April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a flat rented by the attacker.
The girl was raped by two men, and rescued when members of her family heard her screams on Wednesday evening, police said. Both the accused have been arrested.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report