Cop who bribed Delhi rape victim’s father identified
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The policeman, who had offered Rs 2,000 to the father of the five-year-old girl who was held captive and raped by her neighbour in Delhi, has been identified.
A relative of the victim told a news agency that the girl`s father identified the culprit from 13 photographs of policemen shown to him. The photos were of policemen from constable to inspector rank.
Earlier, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said that the police official who allegedly offered the bribe could not be identified because the victim`s father was not available for the identification process.
"We went to the police to register an FIR (First Information Report) but they refused. They never tried to find her, and instead drove us away," the father of the victim had told reporters here outside the Swami Dayananda Hospital in east Delhi`s Shahdara, where the girl was battling for life. She was later shifted to the AIIMS for further treatment.
The father said that when the family finally found the girl on Wednesday, the police told the family to not highlight the issue, and offered them Rs 2,000 to keep mum.
"The police told us that we should not highlight the issue in the media and gave us Rs 2,000 as kharcha-pani (for expenses and refreshment)," said the father, adding that the police further told them to "thank god that his daughter was alive".
"The police told us to take our daughter home and pray for her recovery," said one of the girl`s relatives.
The girl was abducted on April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a flat rented by the attacker.
The girl was raped by two men, and rescued when members of her family heard her screams on Wednesday evening, police said. Both the accused have been arrested.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview