Cop who bribed Delhi rape victim’s father identified
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The policeman, who had offered Rs 2,000 to the father of the five-year-old girl who was held captive and raped by her neighbour in Delhi, has been identified.
A relative of the victim told a news agency that the girl`s father identified the culprit from 13 photographs of policemen shown to him. The photos were of policemen from constable to inspector rank.
Earlier, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said that the police official who allegedly offered the bribe could not be identified because the victim`s father was not available for the identification process.
"We went to the police to register an FIR (First Information Report) but they refused. They never tried to find her, and instead drove us away," the father of the victim had told reporters here outside the Swami Dayananda Hospital in east Delhi`s Shahdara, where the girl was battling for life. She was later shifted to the AIIMS for further treatment.
The father said that when the family finally found the girl on Wednesday, the police told the family to not highlight the issue, and offered them Rs 2,000 to keep mum.
"The police told us that we should not highlight the issue in the media and gave us Rs 2,000 as kharcha-pani (for expenses and refreshment)," said the father, adding that the police further told them to "thank god that his daughter was alive".
"The police told us to take our daughter home and pray for her recovery," said one of the girl`s relatives.
The girl was abducted on April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a flat rented by the attacker.
The girl was raped by two men, and rescued when members of her family heard her screams on Wednesday evening, police said. Both the accused have been arrested.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom