Cop who shot colleague dead to be medically examined
New Delhi: A probationary sub-inspector who had allegedly shot dead his colleague inside a police station here last year has been ordered by a Delhi court to be examined by IHBAS to ascertain if he is of sound mind or not.
Amarjeet Singh, 26, had allegedly shot dead his colleague Kailash Chandra Yadav, at Nihal Vihar Police station in West Delhi July 2011, pumping two bullets from his nine mm service revolver into the victim`s body from point blank range.
Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal directed the medical board of the Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences (IHBAS) to evaluate Singh`s current mental status and fitness to stand trial.
"Accused be admitted by IHBAS hospital for a period of four weeks for evaluation of whether accused is of sound mind or not," the court said.
"Medical Board shall also give opinion regarding fitness of the accused to stand trial, fitness for job, ability to take care of person and property, current mental status and its implications and capacity to understand nature of acts performed by him in ordinary and routine course of life," the court said.
The order of the court came on an application moved by Singh under Section 330 CrPC (for release of person of unsound mind and incapable of making his defence pending investigation or trial).
Earlier, the application was filed before a sessions court, which is conducting the trial in the case. The sessions court had dismissed the application.
The order of dismissal was challenged by Singh before the Delhi High Court early this year.
The High Court had set aside the order of the sessions court and had directed Singh`s examination by a Special Medical Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das