Cop`s death: Delhi HC slams police for acting slow
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tuesday pulled up the city police for not filing a proper response to a plea seeking a CBI probe into Constable Subhash Tomar`s death during the anti-rape stir at the India Gate.
The court also warned that it would summon the Delhi Police Commissioner if the cops do not follow proper protocol in the case.
"You have to file a proper reply in a proper affidavit. This (reply filed by the police) is not acceptable. Perhaps I will have to take some drastic steps. Do you want the Commissioner of Police to stand here with the litigants? I can do that," Justice G P Mittal said warning the police.
The court`s remarks came after the reply on behalf of Delhi Police was filed in the form of a status report by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) SBS Tyagi, instead of the Police Commissioner.
It gave a week`s time to the Ministry of Home Affairs, the Delhi Government and the Delhi Police to file their response.
The directions of the court came on the plea filed by advocate G K Bansal in his individual capacity.
Bansal has moved the court seeking a CBI probe into the case alleging contradictions in the statements of various officials including Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, eye witnesses and the medical expert on the reasons of Tomar`s death.
Tomar, 47, was admitted to RML Hospital on December 23 and had died two days later due to alleged injuries received during the protests for justice for the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim who died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital.
During the hearing, Bansal termed the action of the police as committing contempt of the court`s orders and asked, "Why is the Police Commissioner not filing the response."
He alleged before the court that the Commissioner has been "advised" not to file a response in the case.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra, appearing on behalf of the Delhi Police, submitted that "at this stage, we are raising a preliminary objection" but assured the court that a proper reply would be filed within the stipulated time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'