Cops fail to file chargesheet against students in gang-rape case
New Delhi: Delhi police on Thursday failed to file the chargesheet in a court here in a gang-rape of a minor girl in which six law students of Jamia Millia Islamia University have been arrested last month.
Court sources said the police had conveyed that they would file the chargesheet on January 17 but they did not come to do it today.
The police still has over one month of time to submit the charge sheet as the accused were arrested in December 2012 and the charge sheet can be filed within 90 days.
The six law students, alleged to have gangraped the minor girl for over two months in the captivity of one of the co-accused, were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao, who sent them to Tihar Jail till January 30.
"..., the accused is remanded to 14 days of judicial custody. Accused be produced on January 30," the court said.
Initially on December 4, 2012, the police had arrested five boys, Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopansu and Vikas Punia, all pursuing law from Jamia, after a complaint was lodged at the Defence Colony police station in South Delhi on September 15 by the alleged victim`s mother.
Later, it had arrested Prateek Singh Choudhary, the sixth law student of the University, who was even identified by the victim, studying in class XI, during the Test Identification Parade (TIP), which he had agreed to undergo.
The girl`s mother had told the police that her daughter, had not returned home after attending her school on September 15, 2012.
Initially, a case of kidnapping was registered by the police but following the girl`s recovery after two months, she deposed that on the fateful night she had accompanied her friend Amit Gautam to his flat where she was held captive and gangraped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000