Cops pulled up for threatening girl against lodging rape FIR
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday pulled up the city police for threatening a 13-year-old girl against lodging a rape case against the accused and forcing her to settle the matter with him.
While lambasting the police for its "inaction and apathy", Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Jain also ordered it to pay a compensation of Rs 25,000 to the victim.
"In the instant case, police had not only violated the legal rights of the victim and her family by showing disrespect to them, but also violated the legal and human rights of the victim by not lodging the FIR and pressurising her to settle the matter with the accused.”
“Delhi Police is directed to pay a cost of Rs 25,000 to the victim," said the court.
"It is pertinent to state that the victim of rape does not only suffer physical injury but also psychological and emotional trauma. Such victims are required to be dealt with in a cordial atmosphere but instead of helping the victim and her family, police had multiplied their trauma manifold by not lodging the FIR of the incident.”
"Thus, to my mind, victim deserves compensation from the police for their inaction and apathy," the court said.
The court passed the order while convicting central Delhi resident Birju alias Mathur for raping a 13-year-old girl after kidnapping her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives
- Indian tablet market grew 14.4% in Q2 2016; Datawind continues domination
- From waiter to an Olympian in Rio: This is India's unsung hero Manish Rawat's story – HATS OFF!
- Do you know how harmful leading a sedentary lifestyle is? - Read
- HILARIOUS! Indian Twitter roasts Sanjay Manjrekar for siding with Piers Morgan