Cops pulled up for threatening girl against lodging rape FIR
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday pulled up the city police for threatening a 13-year-old girl against lodging a rape case against the accused and forcing her to settle the matter with him.
While lambasting the police for its "inaction and apathy", Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Jain also ordered it to pay a compensation of Rs 25,000 to the victim.
"In the instant case, police had not only violated the legal rights of the victim and her family by showing disrespect to them, but also violated the legal and human rights of the victim by not lodging the FIR and pressurising her to settle the matter with the accused.”
“Delhi Police is directed to pay a cost of Rs 25,000 to the victim," said the court.
"It is pertinent to state that the victim of rape does not only suffer physical injury but also psychological and emotional trauma. Such victims are required to be dealt with in a cordial atmosphere but instead of helping the victim and her family, police had multiplied their trauma manifold by not lodging the FIR of the incident.”
"Thus, to my mind, victim deserves compensation from the police for their inaction and apathy," the court said.
The court passed the order while convicting central Delhi resident Birju alias Mathur for raping a 13-year-old girl after kidnapping her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends