Corporates line-up at Tihar to buy Holi colours
New Delhi: Top-rung Indian corporates are
lining at the gates of Tihar Prison to make their Holi
From IT giants to top-notch five-star hotels, 24
companies have gone to Asia`s largest jail to procure `gulal`
and other such colours produced by convicts in a quality-
"Companies like Wipro Infotech, Maruti Suzuki Company
Ltd, Birla Soft, LG Life Sciences, Tech-Mahindra, Ranbaxy,
Royal Bank of Scotland, Naukri.com and five-star hotels like
Taj Palace Hotel, ITC Maurya Sheraton, Hyatt Regency and
Shangrila Hotel in Janpath have procured more than 500 pieces
of cans containing herbal Holi colours," a senior official of
Tihar Prisons said on Monday.
Made from maize starch, these edible-grade `gulals` are
available in seven radiant colours and stress-busting seven
herbal aromas, he said. Colour red is available in `fresh
rose` aroma, orange in `kesar-haldi`, pink in `lilly of
valley`, green in `lemon grass`, sky blue in `fresh mint`,
yellow in `lal chandan` and magenta in `lavender`.
"All the colours are made through complete hand-made
process. The only machine used is the digital weighing scale.
They do not contain any heavy metals and are beneficial for
the skin," said Swami Vishalanand, an activist with Divya
Jyoti Jagrati Sansthan, the biggest NGO in Tihar jail complex
engaged in rehabilitation and reforms programmes.
"These colours have been made by convicts lodged in jail
number 5. A total of over 80 convicted inmates got trained by
our NGO to make them. Six prisoners who were released recently
and who were earlier engaged in making of these colours, are
today earning their living by selling these colours. Complete
hygiene is maintained amongst inmates while making the
colours," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video