Cotton export ban: GoM meet ends inconclusive
New Delhi: The GoM meeting to review the cotton export ban, which has led to a controversy now, ended inconclusive on Friday and further discussions could take place tomorrow.
"Talks remained inconclusive and further discussion is required. The meeting can place take tomorrow," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said.
The Commerce Ministry on March 5 banned cotton exports, a decision opposed by the Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar who said it was taken without his approval.
The meeting of the Group of Ministers (GoM), headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, was attended by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, and Sharma, who also holds the Textiles portfolio.
The meeting, which lasted for almost two hours, took place following a directive from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who on March 7 asked the GoM to "urgently" review the decision to ban cotton exports.
Earlier this week, the Textile Ministry had said the ban was imposed after taking into account "the trend of domestic consumption and depletion of domestic availability".
Explaining the reasons behind export ban, the ministry had said that the country had already shipped 10 lakh bales more than the exportable surplus, reducing the domestic availability.
"Almost 94 lakh bales (170 kg each) have already shipped out, against an estimated export surplus of 84 lakh bales," the ministry had said. It feared the exports could reach 100 lakh bales by mid-March with registration of export contracts touching 120 lakh bales so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...