Couple accused of assaulting neighbour let off
New Delhi: A man and his wife facing trial for allegedly attacking a man with an iron rod and a hockey stick, have been acquitted by a Delhi court as the complainant retracted his statement against them.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao absolved North Delhi residents Chotte Lal and his wife Indrawati of the charges of beating up complainant Yogesh Kumar saying he has not supported the prosecution case.
"Kumar, who is the complainant as well as injured in the case and is its material witness, has not supported the case of prosecution.
"Since there was no incriminating evidence against the accused persons... They are acquitted of the offence under section 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) of the Indian Penal Code(IPC)," the judge said.
According to the police, Kumar`s neighbours Chotte Lal and Indrawati had assaulted him on May 7, 2011 with an iron rod and a hockey stick.
Kumar, however, told the court during the trial that he had filed the complaint against his neighbours due to some confusion and misunderstanding.
He had added that he was not injured by the duo at any point of time and that he had no dispute with them.
Kumar had also deposed before the court that the police had obtained his signature on blank papers and that the complaint was not drafted under his instructions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB