Couple accused of assaulting neighbour let off
New Delhi: A man and his wife facing trial for allegedly attacking a man with an iron rod and a hockey stick, have been acquitted by a Delhi court as the complainant retracted his statement against them.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao absolved North Delhi residents Chotte Lal and his wife Indrawati of the charges of beating up complainant Yogesh Kumar saying he has not supported the prosecution case.
"Kumar, who is the complainant as well as injured in the case and is its material witness, has not supported the case of prosecution.
"Since there was no incriminating evidence against the accused persons... They are acquitted of the offence under section 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) of the Indian Penal Code(IPC)," the judge said.
According to the police, Kumar`s neighbours Chotte Lal and Indrawati had assaulted him on May 7, 2011 with an iron rod and a hockey stick.
Kumar, however, told the court during the trial that he had filed the complaint against his neighbours due to some confusion and misunderstanding.
He had added that he was not injured by the duo at any point of time and that he had no dispute with them.
Kumar had also deposed before the court that the police had obtained his signature on blank papers and that the complaint was not drafted under his instructions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes