Couple accused of assaulting neighbour let off
New Delhi: A man and his wife facing trial for allegedly attacking a man with an iron rod and a hockey stick, have been acquitted by a Delhi court as the complainant retracted his statement against them.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao absolved North Delhi residents Chotte Lal and his wife Indrawati of the charges of beating up complainant Yogesh Kumar saying he has not supported the prosecution case.
"Kumar, who is the complainant as well as injured in the case and is its material witness, has not supported the case of prosecution.
"Since there was no incriminating evidence against the accused persons... They are acquitted of the offence under section 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) of the Indian Penal Code(IPC)," the judge said.
According to the police, Kumar`s neighbours Chotte Lal and Indrawati had assaulted him on May 7, 2011 with an iron rod and a hockey stick.
Kumar, however, told the court during the trial that he had filed the complaint against his neighbours due to some confusion and misunderstanding.
He had added that he was not injured by the duo at any point of time and that he had no dispute with them.
Kumar had also deposed before the court that the police had obtained his signature on blank papers and that the complaint was not drafted under his instructions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful