Court acquits man accused of bludgeoning to death DTC driver
New Delhi: A Delhi court has acquitted a
man accused of bludgeoning to death a DTC driver in 2002 after
a dispute over a petty issue, saying the victim`s nephew, an
eyewitness, gave contradictory statements.
"Although a conviction can be based upon a solitary
statement of an eyewitness if the same is found trustworthy
and reliable ... the evidence of Arun Kumar, when read as a
whole, is full of discrepancies, improvements and does not
inspire confidence," Additional Sessions Judge A K Arya said.
The victim, who was taking breakfast outside a school
at Lajpat Nagar on the morning of April 17, 2002, was
bludgeoned to death when he attempted to stop accused Satpal
from snatching money from a boy, police had alleged.
Arun, a nephew of the driver and a student of
Sarvodaya Bal Vidyalaya in the area, allegedly witnessed the
incident and an FIR was lodged by police on the basis of his
He had told the police that the accused hit his uncle
with a stone. The victim was later declared dead at the AIIMS.
However, during the trial, he said the stone missed
his uncle and the injuries were caused as the victim fell on
"There are material contradictions in the statement of
Arun, such as his statement recorded by police in the hospital
on April 17 in which the name of thr accused is given as
Satpal but admitted in cross-examination that he did not know
the name of the accused," it noted, adding the case was not
proved against Satpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report