Court acquits man accused of raping, cheating girl
New Delhi: A man, accused of raping and cheating a girl on the pretext of marrying her, has been acquitted by a Delhi court after the complainant said she had lodged the case as he did not return her money.
The special fast track court, constituted to try the cases of sexual offence against women, let off Mohit Kumar observing that the girl had not said anything incriminating against him during her deposition before it and instead said that the allegations levelled against him were wrong.
"The prosecutrix has not deposed an iota of evidence of her being raped at all. She has not even mentioned the word `rape` in her evidence nor has deposed anything incriminating against the accused Mohit Kumar," Additional Sessions Judge Nivedita Anil Sharma said.
The court also said the girl had turned hostile in her deposition and had not attributed any criminal role on the part of the accused.
"In the circumstances, as the prosecutrix who is the star witness has turned hostile and has not supported prosecution case and more importantly has not assigned any criminal role to the accused, the prosecution evidence is closed," it said.
During the trial, the girl told the court that she and Kumar were friends and they developed physical relationship in September, 2010 with her consent.
She deposed that Kumar had not raped her and she had filed the case against him as he was not returning Rs 40,000 which she had given him as a loan.
Police had told the court that a case had been registered against Kumar on a complaint by the girl who had alleged that from September 2010 till January last year, Kumar had been raping her on the pretext of marrying her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured