Court acquits woman police official in graft case
New Delhi: A woman police official, facing trial for allegedly accepting bribe from a man for dropping a domestic violence case against him, has been acquitted by a Delhi court as the complainant retracted his statement against her.
Special Judge B R Kedia absolved Kaushal Dahiya, an assistant sub-inspector in the Crimes Against Women (CAW) cell at Kamla Market police station here, of the charges of taking Rs 3,000 bribe from complainant Ankur Chaurasia saying he has not supported the case of Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB).
"Complainant Ankur Chaurasia has not supported the stand of the prosecution and has not deposed anything against the accused to prove the demand of bribe from the complainant.
"The prosecution has failed to establish its case against the accused, so Kaushal deserves to be acquitted of the charged offence," the judge said.
According to the ACB, Chaurasia`s wife had lodged a complaint against him with the CAW cell and the same was being handled by Kaushal.
The agency had said that Kaushal had initially demanded an amount of Rs 20,000 for not pursuing the complaint against Chaurasia and had later scaled it to Rs 10,000.
The accused had demanded a part payment of Rs 3,000 out of the Rs 10,000 bribe, it had told the court.
Chaurasia had then approached ACB to take action against Kaushal. The ACB argued that on January 11, 2010 they had caught the accused red-handed accepting the bribe of Rs 3,000 inside the police station complex.
During the trial, Chaurasia had deposed before the court that he had not paid any money to the accused and neither she had demanded bribe from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town