Court allows ex-MCI chief to attend conference in Canada
New Delhi: Former Medical Council of India
President Ketan Desai, who is facing corruption charges in six
cases, was allowed by a Delhi court to attend a
conference of World Medical Association at Vancouver in
"Considering the facts that the accused has remained in
custody, documents relating to his properties and bank
accounts have already been seized/frozen by CBI during the
probe and there being no specific reason for expressing the
apprehension of his not returning to India. I am inclined to
allow the application (of Desai)," Special CBI Judge O P Saini
The court allowed the application of the former MCI
President seeking release of his passport and permission to
attend the doctors` conference at Vancouver from October 13 to
It, however, imposed various conditions on Desai,
including filing of the itinerary of his visit, giving an
additional surety of Rs 15 lakh and informing the court about
his arrival from Canada.
Besides filing of an undertaking that he would not
tamper with the evidence, the court also asked Desai to
surrender his passport on his return.
Earlier, the CBI prosecutor opposed the plea of Desai
saying he was facing corruption charges in six cases across
the country and out of them, two such matters are pending in
the Delhi court.
"The accused may not come back to face the prosecution
and allowing the plea was not in the interest of the justice,"
the prosecutor said. The court, however, rejected the plea.
In one of the cases, Desai, along with four others, is
charged with accepting a bribe for according sanction to
Patiala-based Gyan Sagar Medical College.
The former MCI president was arrested on April 22 by CBI
along with three others for accepting a bribe of Rs two crore
to give permission to the private medical college to recruit a
fresh batch of students.
Subsequently, CBI registered another case against Desai
under Prevention of Corruption Act for possession
disproportionate assets (DA) from his known sources of income.
It was alleged that Desai and his wife Alka Desai were
found in possession of assets worth over RS 42.96 crore. They
also have various plots and commercial properties in Mumbai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list