Court asks for ATR on Prashant Bhushan`s plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday asked police to appraise it of the steps taken by it on a plea for lodging a criminal case against key Team Anna member and noted lawyer Prashant Bhushan for supporting plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir and demanding withdrawal of Army from there.
Metropolitan Magistrate Purshotam Pathak directed Central Delhi deputy commissioner of police to submit to it by July 12 an action-taken-report on the complaint against Bhushan filed by one Vibhor Anand, a law student.
In his plea, Anand had sought directions to the police for registration of the FIR against Prashant Bhushan for his alleged remarks on the status of Kashmir and withdrawal of Army from the region.
Complainant`s counsel V K Anand also told the court that Bhushan made the comments with "a malafide intention and sole motive to create panic among the masses and to disturb the Constitutional set up."
Terming as "offending" Bhushan`s comment on plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir, he said the police should register an FIR against Bhushan for sedition.
Bhushan had triggered a controversy by supporting the idea of holding plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir following which he was attacked by three youths belonging to a right-wing group in his chamber on October 12 last year.
Responding to the law student`s complaint against him, Prashant Bhushan`s office earlier had said in a statement, "In a democracy, everyone has a right to expresses their views on all issues. Just because the issue concerns Kashmir, it does not mean that it becomes out of bounds for a reasoned discussion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing