Court asks for ATR on Prashant Bhushan`s plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday asked police to appraise it of the steps taken by it on a plea for lodging a criminal case against key Team Anna member and noted lawyer Prashant Bhushan for supporting plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir and demanding withdrawal of Army from there.
Metropolitan Magistrate Purshotam Pathak directed Central Delhi deputy commissioner of police to submit to it by July 12 an action-taken-report on the complaint against Bhushan filed by one Vibhor Anand, a law student.
In his plea, Anand had sought directions to the police for registration of the FIR against Prashant Bhushan for his alleged remarks on the status of Kashmir and withdrawal of Army from the region.
Complainant`s counsel V K Anand also told the court that Bhushan made the comments with "a malafide intention and sole motive to create panic among the masses and to disturb the Constitutional set up."
Terming as "offending" Bhushan`s comment on plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir, he said the police should register an FIR against Bhushan for sedition.
Bhushan had triggered a controversy by supporting the idea of holding plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir following which he was attacked by three youths belonging to a right-wing group in his chamber on October 12 last year.
Responding to the law student`s complaint against him, Prashant Bhushan`s office earlier had said in a statement, "In a democracy, everyone has a right to expresses their views on all issues. Just because the issue concerns Kashmir, it does not mean that it becomes out of bounds for a reasoned discussion."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case