Court asks police to probe conditions of other maids
New Delhi: The Delhi Police were on Saturday asked by a court here to probe the conditions of other girls who could have been employed through the placement agency which had provided a maid allegedly assaulted and confined by her employer in a Vasant Kunj house.
"Were there some other girls who were employed through the placement agency? What is their condition, find out as you (police) have invoked sections of the Bonded Labour Act and there are allegations against Dorothy (placement agent) that she did not pay these girls even after taking payment from the employer," Metropolitan Magistrate Gomati Manocha
The court made the observation while hearing the arguments on the bail plea of arrested accused Vandana Dhir who is now in jail under judicial custody.
The magistrate also asked the police to find out whether money was paid to the victim for her services as a maid in Dhir`s house and also directed the investigating officer (IO) to probe about the two places where the victim had worked prior to her being employed in the house of the accused.
"Whether any amount was paid to the girl (victim)? Newspaper reports says Rs 15,000 was paid to her. Whatever the amount paid to her would be very crucial.
"She (victim) had worked in Noida and one other house (at Lajpat Nagar) here. What was the amount paid to her? It is very crucial. You (police) investigate about the amount which was paid to her," the court, which reserved its order on the bail plea of Dhir for October 7, said.
It also asked the police to verify if Dhir had paid any salary to the victim.
"What about her salary? Had Vandana Dhir paid any salary through cash or cheque? Do you (defence counsel) have any documents? If you have any such document, you give it to the police," it said while asking the IO to find out about the whereabouts of Kajal who was working as a maid in Dhir`s house earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'