Court asks Sheila Dikshit to appear in court
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday directed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to appear in person on the next date of hearing on November 9 in a defamation case lodged by her against Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta.
Metropolitan Magistrate Navneet Budhiraja directed the Chief Minister that she must appeared in the court on November 9 without any excuse.
"Considering the fact complainant has not appeared since recording of her statement against Gupta, therefore she is directed to appear positively. Otherwise the complaint would be dismissed," said the court.
The court said the chief minister is also like any other complainant.
The court order came after Gupta`s counsel Anil Soni and Ajay Digpaul strongly opposed the exemption sought by Dikshit on the ground of inauguration function.
On the last date of hearing, Gupta moved an application for correction of ordersheet, in which notice was issued to both parties to appear in the court.
They told the court that Dikshit has only appeared once in the case even though court has given seven dates of hearing.
The court directed the lawyers and other people who are not associated with the case to leave the room, to which the lawyers raised objection.
The complaint filed by Dikshit before the magistrate said that to gain political mileage by maligning her, the BJP leader had used "uncivilised" language against her before the civic polls in April this year.
Dikshit alleged that Gupta called her a "villain" and "vamp" and also said that she had cheated the people of Delhi.
The Chief Minister on May 30 recorded her statement against Gupta and requested the court to summon him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre