Court concludes recording of Dec 16 gang-rape accused statement
New Delhi: A Delhi court trying the December 16 gangrape case today concluded recording of statements of all the accused, who countered the charges framed against them by it.
The last accused to complete his statement was Pawan Gupta, a fruit vendor, who claimed before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that he was in an inebriated state on the day of the incident and was not in the bus in which the 23-year-old girl was gangraped allegedly by six persons including a minor.
To the question put to Pawan by the judge that there is evidence that he was present in the bus, he said that on December 16, 2012, he left his fruit shop early and consumed liquor at his home. Later in the evening he had accompanied accused Vinay Sharma to a music function in south Delhi.
"After reaching the function, I consumed more liquor. I became unconscious, so I lied down on the bench there. When I woke up, I found myself at home.
"My father told me that I was brought home by him (father) and my uncle," he told the judge, adding that how could he be present in the bus then.
As per the police, on December 16, a female physiotherapy intern was beaten up and gangraped in a bus in which she was travelling with her male friend who was also brutally attacked with an iron rod.
There were six persons in the bus including driver Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay, Pawan and Mukesh all of whom had raped the girl, it had said.
The victim died of her injuries on December 29 last year while undergoing treatment in a Singapore Hospital.
During the trial, Ram Singh was found dead in Tihar jail on March 11 and court proceedings against him stand abated.
The sixth accused, a juvenile, faced an inquiry before the juvenile justice board here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons